Each year CO kills 450 and injures 20,000 in the United States. Since 2007, there have been more than 1,700 CO incidents in Ohio homes, here is a recap of some of the most recent incidents in the news.
5.29.12 - Dayton: 62-year-old woman dies, another hospitalized from house fire. More
2.21.12 - Union Twp: Paramedics responded to a local toy store after three people became ill while inside. More
1.14.12 - Dayton: Article reporting the dangers of CO poisoning and of the multiple sources that increase potential incidents in cold weather (stoves, furnaces, improperly vented appliances). More
1.3.12 - Akron: Homemaker/mother in Akron area blogs a consumer review of Kidde’s CO detectors. More
12.31.11 - Whitehall: Woman recounts importance of CO detectors. She did not have one seven years ago, which would have saved her then-15 yr old son’s life. More
12.27.11 - Cleveland: Mother and her five young children survived CO poisoning from faulty furnace. She emphasizes how her $17 CO detector was a worthy purchase. More
12.20.11 - Fostoria: Ohio State Highway Patrol issues general warnings about dangers of driving during winter months, specifically mentions keeping tail pipe free of debris to prevent CO poisoning. More
12.19.11 - Columbus: Public News Service Article on CO dangers gives a general warning about CO poisoning and its prevalence in cold-weather months. More
12.7.11 - Sycamore Twp / Cincinnati: Elderly couple found dead in their home of accidental causes – Authorities suspect, but have not yet confirmed, the cause is CO poisoning from a vehicle that was running in the couple’s garage. More
12.2.11 - Columbus: Five children were transported to Nationwide Children's Hospital after their home filled with carbon monoxide, due to malfunctioning furnace. More
*Please note that these are only incidents reported by media outlets across Ohio.